Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"Waah... Not Waah"

Anneong Hasayo, Brett-ssi here.

Prior to arriving in Korea we were very keen to start learning the language. We purchased an array of Korean books, dictionaries and CD's and began partaking in the "do it yourself" coursework.


We have now begun Korean lessons at the YMCA in Daegu every Saturday morning. The 2 hour lessons remind us how hard it is to sit in a class and focus on a teacher rambling on and if nothing else, we are learning a lot about teaching through our experience as students.

After about an hour and a half I throw my hands up in the air in defeat. It makes me sympathetic of the students that I am teaching who have been at school all day and then come to English academy for another four hours at night. When I get them at nine O'clock they have been in school for between 8 and ten hours! Not to mention that they also go to school on Saturdays. No wonder they look at me blankly and fall asleep in class.

Anyway, back to Korean class. We each had to choose our own Korean name. My name in Gun Ho (which means enthusiastic and over zealous) and Cindy's is Min Sun. The class is made up of about 20 foreign English teachers from Scotland, England, Spain, U.S.A, New Zealand, Canada and Australia.


The Korean's prefer a very old-fashioned, wrote-style learning in their schools and our language class is no different. The teacher points to the Korean letters on the board, says the name, and then we repeat as a chorus of strange accents.

Typically it goes like this. Teacher says "Waah" and we say "Waah", then she will say "NO! not waah.... waah!" and then we say "Waah..... stupid language" and so on.

We can now quite comfortably say "hello, goodbye and thankyou", it is surprising how far you can get on those three words.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, Cindy and Brett, I admire your courage, I cant imagine anything more frustrating at the moment. Particularly after having been at school all week. I know the last thing I want to do is be reminded of a classroom. have you got internet at home Yet????? Graeme

Anonymous said...

You two are so funny. This blog is my favourite way to kill 5 mins and get a smile every time. Keep having fun, I am sharing it with you back here in the land of vegemite. xx
Kel

Anonymous said...

What does Cindy's name mean?
Leanne

Anonymous said...

It means cleverness and goodness!
-Cindy