Saturday, October 11, 2008

Japan and Back in 48hrs

Konichiwa, Brett here.

Most of you would be aware that I have had more than my fair share of problems trying to get a work visa to teach in South Korea. The process started in March and after months and months of torturous waiting, multiple e-mails, numerous phone calls and hours of research, within two hours of receiving conformation form Korean immigration, I was on my way to Japan to collect my visa.

Around 6:30pm Wednesday night I received a phone call from our school saying that my E-2 number was ready and that they were looking into getting me on the ferry to Japan the next day. “Great”, I thought. Half an hour later the school called back and said “You should pack your bag, it would be better if you left tonight!”

At 9:00pm I was driven by the Korean foreigner assistant, Hong-Jae to the Daegu train station and at 10:20pm caught an express train to the port city of Busan. When I arrived at 11:30pm the two hotels that had been recommended were both full. I managed to find a dodgy looking establishment called the Seoul Motel, which wasn’t actually too bad, for 25,000won (about $25).

At 8:30 the next morning I caught the 3 hour Hydrofoil ferry to Fukuoka (Foo-co-ka), Japan. Upon arrival, I made my way to the Korean Consulate and handed over my passport to be processed. Fukuoka is a beautiful and serene city. The people are friendly, funky and well dressed. The streets are clean and there seems to be a peacefulness in the air.



The next day I returned to the consulate to collect my visa. At last! It was a lot of heartache for a little sticker!

After 48 hours, 6 trains, 4 buses and 2 ferries I returned home around 9:00pm Friday night, Visa in hand. It was a long time coming. I feel as though a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Now I can begin to do what I do best.... shaping the young minds of Korean school children.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Brett and congratulations. We can only imagine what a relief it must be for you. That would be the quickest trip to Japan we have ever heard of!!! Murray is going to Japan (Tokyo) for a week in a few weeks time for work. have fun at school. check ya email. Mum and Dad

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! What a relief! I'm glad the trip to Japan went smoothly :)
Leanne

Cheryl and Bill said...

Congratulations, Brett! We hope you enjoy the teaching now that you are finally started.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats!
Cara

Dan Henrickson said...

Yeah for Brett!!

How did you meet the guy where you were playing guitar beside him?

Fukuoka is actually my favorite city I have ever been to. Now I have about another 35 cities around the world I want to see!

Have a great weekend Brett and Cindy.