Monday, September 22, 2008

The White Stuff

TWO

If there has been one thing that I have experienced in Canada that I would want to share with my friends and family back in OZ it would be SNOW! The Canuks reading this are probably cursing and calling me crazy right now but to an Aussie boy who had never seen the white stuff in his 25 years... it was pretty special.

Snow was almost magical to me! I was completely fascinated by it. I even enjoyed shoveling it from the driveway each morning and would actually look forward to the chore that most locals despise the most.

The snow in most people's front yards was around head height by the end of winter. The snow blowers would cut a path through so the sidewalks could be used which left a scene that reminded me of when the “Cat in the Hat” did the same thing in one of the books I read when I was a child.

Driving in the snow was an interesting and somewhat dangerous experience. Nearly everyday you would see people crashing into each other or running off the road. I even passed a transport truck on its side on my way home from work during a snow storm.

The only time I wasn't thankful for the snow was when I locked my keys in the car during a snow storm. I tried for about 20 minutes to brake in with a coat-hanger but after the first 10 minutes I couldn't feel my fingers so there wasn't much point continuing. I had to catch a Taxi to get the spare keys from Cindy who was at school. The worst part was I had left my coffee inside the car!

Other enjoyable snow activities included snowboarding, snowshoeing, snow-ball fights, building snowmen and snow forts, and making snow angels.

Much to Cindy's, and the rest of Ontario's disgust, I am eagerly awaiting the next snowfall!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For those of us in WA snow seems like a fictional landscape that doesnt in reality exist. Fortunately I have seen it in the Dandenongs, just out of Melbourne but it would be nothing compared with what you have lived with and experienced. We actually had about two inches of it in manjimup many years ago when i was still at primary school. That was pretty special in a small boy's mind. The weather bureau has indicated that we might actually get a light fall of snow on the Stirling Ranges later this week. We have had a bit of a cold snap, with Donnybrook being iced over the last couple of mornings according to one of the teachers at boyanup. We are awaiting with anticipation to discover what your number one favourite aspect of Canada is. Was it the chipmunks, was it skinny dipping in the icy lakes, maybe it was eating maple syrup or beaver stew. No doubt all will be revealed in good time!!!! Meanwhile, stay cooooool and have fun you two.

Cheryl and Bill said...

Love the snowman's fashion statement!