Friday, August 1, 2008

Red Tape - Part One (Canada)

Hi folks, Brett here,

This is a summary of the documentation and red tape that I have had to go through to work in Canada. It took many phone calls, emails and internet searches. The main lesson that I have learnt through this process is depending on who you talk to in any consulate, bureau or agency you will get a different and often wrong answer.

Working Holiday Program Visa $165

1. Medical $452.65
To work with children in Canada you need to have a full medical including, blood test, pee test and chest X-ray. Not only did this medical cost me $450 but I also had to take half a day off work and call in a substitute teacher.

2. Passport Photos $25

Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) $345
To teach in Ontario you have to be registered with the OCT.

1. Criminal Record Check (CRC) $25
At first I wasn’t sure if they wanted a Canadian CRC, Australian CRC or both. I decided to call the Canadian Consulate in Sydney for some clarification. The lady on the other end of the phone treated me as if I was complete idiot. "Why would you need a Canadian CRC if you have never been there" she said in a harsh tone. Turns out.., she was wrong! After a few more emails and phone calls I discovered that it was the Canadian CRC that I needed.

2. Fingerprints $24
To get a Canadian CRC I needed to apply through the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). They would need a set of my fingerprints to process the search. After having my prints taken by some confused officers at the local Police station who didn’t quite understand why I was voluntary asking to be fingerprinted, I started to wonder if the set of fingerprints I had been given were going to be official. By chance I discovered that in fact the prints needed to come from the Australian federal police. I contacted their office and found that there would be about a 3 month waiting list.

3. University academic transcripts and record of course completion $30

4. Copies of Passport, Degree/teaching certificate

5. Statement of professional Standing
This meant calling the West Australian Collage of teachers (WACOT) and asking them to write a letter to the Ontario Collage of teachers saying that my authorization to teach has never been suspended, cancelled or revoked.

6. Employment Authorization
The final document the OCT needed to process my registration was my work visa. Only problem was, my work visa was waiting for me at Toronto Airport.

After collecting my visa from Toronto Airport It took another 2 months for my registration number to arrive. Along with a letter saying that I need to pay another $104 annual membership fee.

Simcoe County District School Board
1. Resume

2. Criminal Record Check $35
To work for the local school board I needed another police check from the Ontario Provincial Police.

Total= $1055.65

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Firstly- Mounties-cool
Secondly- was the 452.65 broken down to $450 medical + $2.65 pay substitute teacher? If so, our pay isn't looking so bad then.
Lastly- wholly cow! I thought $70 to WACOT was crap. I hope they appreciate you Brettles. I am possibly soon to follow in your Marri Grove shoes- cost of application
1. 32 pieces of paper and ink
2. 4x staples
3. $2 in fuel

Sorry x (Robbo again)