Monday, June 1, 2009

What's Goin' On Over There?

Hey there!

Well, lately we've been getting the question "What's going on over there?".

I think actually being here in Korea gives us an odd perspective on the situation. We are not exposed to any sensationalized news reports from CNN or BBC, unless we seek them out. We don't understand the Korean news. So, we simply rely on our Korean friends, co-workers and older students to give us the real info on what is going on. Of course we read the news and scan the internet, however, actually talking to Koreans seems to be the most reassuring way to go.

Last week, in the midst of North Korea's preparations for missile tests, and rumors of North Korea's plans for skirmishes with the South about their sea border, most South Koreans we spoke to felt no tension at all. When we spoke of the missiles, they would simply roll their eyes and reply with something about the "crazy north".

"Oh teacha- they just so crazy all the time."

You see, for South Koreans, this is all same ol' same ol'. They have heard the threats before. Korea appears to be the opposite of the US with their terrorism alerts and their sensationalistic reports. Instead, things are calm, reports state the facts, and the actions of Kim Jong Il are known but not given any special spotlight or exaggeration. Perhaps we should be more worried than we are. But so far, we are just making sure to keep informed. The only action Brett and I are taking is to register with our embassy so that if people need to be evacuated at some point, then we are on the list. But really, here in South Korea, nobody is talking about "crazy man" Kim Jong Il at all.

The main focus of the news last week was the death of one of the former presidents, Roh Moo-Hyun. After being accused of inappropriately taking money during his time as president, Roh decided to end his life. He went for a hike up a mountain and jumped off a cliff. The reaction to this was tremendous. Koreans were shocked. Roh suddenly became a hero, and the current president a criminal for beginning the investigation that led to Roh committing suicide. People packed the streets of Seoul to see his funeral and voice their anger at the events that lead to his death. Riot police were actually needed because of the angry protests.
Pictures by Reuters.com




I found this all to be strange. At the beginning of my time here in Korea I became aware that the suicide rate for children is high. It was also pointed out to me that the parents and school of the child who commits suicide are ashamed of that child, and try to keep the suicide a secret. The parents and school are shamed by the community for having a child who is not tough enough to handle life in Korea. The child is actually blamed! This disturbed me a great deal. So now, with this president (who may actually be corrupt) being turned into a hero for taking his own life....I couldn't help but question why the tiny children who also jump from cliffs or windows are not heroes? Why aren't people mad at the system that causes their deaths?

Anyway, I am never going to understand. As a foreigner, I know I don't know all the facts and I don't understand the history and culture behind everything. So all I can do is watch and observe...and vent in a blog online that is read by one person...maybe two.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why dont we comment anymore??? Well that is a really good qtn, but to be honest, your blogs are usually that full of detail that I dont have any thing to ask! Plus the fact that right at the moment I am writing the dreaded general comments for my year 4/5 reports, ( how do you tell a parent that their child is probably going to end up in jail?) and of course trying to keep on top of all of BRETT'S paperwork regarding his tenant blah blah blah. But truly we do enjoy reading your blog so dont be disheartened, plus it is going to be the most wonderful record of your adventures that yopu will be able to keep and reflect on for many years to come. So 'blog on' Graeme

Anonymous said...

I agree with Graeme that your blog is interesting and I do read it too. Just sounds like you and Brett are learning alot as well as teaching and will be able to have lots to share when you come home.
Love Aunt Betty

Anonymous said...

I read your blog, too, but often not until 4 or 5 days later (like now) when it seems a little late to comment! It's really interesting so don't stop.

Mom (Cheryl)

Emma said...

Hi there, I enjoyed reading about the war situation, I am coming to Korea July 13th and my family is a bit concerned, thankyou for explaining things a little better and I'll register with the Aussie embassy when I get there.
I can't believe that suicide shiza! Thats so crazy, complete opposite of Oz. If a child takes their life its blamed on bulling and on tv!