Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Caught in the Crossfire

G'day, Brett here!

In my time as a teacher I have confiscated a multitude of items; toy cars, Tamagotchies, food, rulers, Pokemon cards, mobile phones, compasses and the like, but today I hit the jackpot!

I had finished my final class and was heading for the door when I noticed a fairly suspicious looking contraption in a young boy's hand. Upon closer inspection I identified this item as being a homemade crossbow made from a rubber band and an assortment of office stationary.

It was quite an impressive piece of machinery. Much more sophisticated than the ones we used to make as kids out of a Bic pen, a rubber band and some sticky tape. This one had a handle, a barrel and had been glued together to give it extra strength.

I asked the boy to put it in his bag and told him that I did not want to see it again, to which he replied “Break, break” implying that there was nothing I could do because it was break time! At that very moment he accidentally released the rubber band and the projectile flew across the table and embedded itself in another boy's book. He hesitantly forfeited the weapon and I told him that he would be paying a visit to the Korean manager.

As I entered the office a few of the other male teachers were standing around and their attention immediately shifted to the item in my hand. “Oh wow! Where did you get that?”. They were all a little intrigued but mostly impressed (it's a boy thing). After I had told the story to the Korean manager, one of the American guys even went to her desk to get a second look (I guess it's just in their blood).

My only regret is that I didn't have my camera with me so I could not get a picture of this advancement in modern classroom weaponry. I will go on a reconnaissance mission tomorrow to see if I can locate and take possession of the subject long enough to snap a picture. Over and out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, korea must be very technolocically advanced. In my classroom we just have these four pronged weapons that get used as missles. They are multifunctional, you can also sit on them!!!!!!! Graeme

Anonymous said...

Man, Chairs are almost prehistoric! How unimaginitive...

Dan Henrickson said...

Ahh yes, the scientific talents of Korean students impresses once again. Next time - we (yes, us men, who act like boys) want pics.

Cynthia Young said...

Way out of the bush ,off the ranch on Borland out of southern Ontario- at last!! Remember Jazz the four footed guy who loved your hair? Yes,it is the other Cindy aka Cynthia. Sara is in the final stretch at U of T- the world awaits! I will pass on the site to her and continue reading. Take care to both of you!