Saturday, June 28, 2008

Niagara

Hi, Brett here!

Niagara Falls is one of those world famous landmarks that everyone has heard about. I can remember seeing the falls on a travel program about ten years ago and thinking "That would be an amazing place to go". On Friday the 27th of June, I experienced the exhilaration first hand.

The falls are about 3 hours south of Barrie so we set off with out good friends Leanne and Shaun who were our tour guides for the day. The Canadian side provides the best view of the falls and it was amusing to be able to look across the Niagara river at the U.S.A.

We parked up river from the falls and began the walk along the river towards our destination. You can hear the sound of the water crashing onto the river below long before you actually see it. As you approach the falls from behind you can see the large cloud of water vapour that rises up from the bottom of the falls.

Upon arrival, all those stereotypical adjectives come to mind; beautiful, breathtaking, awesome, etc. Basically, it’s just really cool! I don’t think I have ever taken as many photographs in a single day as I did this day.


The highlight of the day was definitely traveling to the bottom of the falls on the Maid of the Mist. This boat takes you right to the bottom of the falls where you really get a feeling for the enormous power of the falls. You can actually feel the wind in your face as the force of the falling water pushes the air outwards. Taking pictures is not even an option because the water spray is far too heavy. They give you a poncho as you get on the boat but I still came out drenched. And I didn’t mind one bit. It was a surreal feeling to have the water of the Niagara Falls dripping from my face.

An unforgettable experience that I will look back upon with fond memories in years to come. One of my top five days in Canada!

One final thought.... If you are aboard a boat on the Niagara river and you are closer to the American shore, are you in Canada or the States? (Please leave your thoughts in the comments section)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brett,
Wow it is so good to hear from you. What a gorgeous girlfriend you have!!!!! I went to niagara last year. It is pretty crazy isn't it. I can't believe how close the city is to the falls.
My thought is you are still in Canada if you are in the middle. Did you go in the tunnels behind it? I'm still working in Thornlie things are going well. Geoff and I are getting married in December. when you're bakc in Perth next ring me for a catch up. My mobile hasn't changed.
Lee Schmitz

Anonymous said...

you know, I was watching Getaway on the weekend and they showed Niagara and the Maid of Mist and I thought 'Wow, what a cool place that would be to visit!' Hope you enjoyed it for me too!!!

Anonymous said...

actually brettles you are in neither the US or canada, you are still in the boat you drongo says your Dad!!!!

Anonymous said...

dad also says, hope you two are having an absolute fun time packing. Cindy we know what its like, we have packed Bretts stuff up more times than you can imagine.